Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The Truth About 'Balance' in life

It was a normal morning, stuck in a traffic jam. Rude drivers cutting through traffic and I let them pass. A friend of mine who was carpooling to work with me asked "Why do you let that happen?". I replied "Are we in a hurry? We always leave for work at this time and we reach the office with time to spare". "But you cannot let just people walk over you", he answered.

"I'm not". And I explained further. The Taipei 101 skyscraper was built to withstand earthquakes and storms. How? By being flexible where it can afford to, and being tough and stern where is must be. It also applies to our lives. In the case of my argument with my car pooling friend, I know I can afford to let some cars go by, because I have spare time to reach the office. But if it was a matter of life and death, then I wouldn't react in the same way. In a conflict you must know when to compromise and when to stand your ground. Sounds obvious right?


A lot of people would talk about 'balance' as far as how they navigate conflict but it is these same people are the ones not being able to uphold this balance. More often than not, they themselves are the ones who get mistreated in conflicts. There is no perfect 'balance', it is not practical.

The 'balance' can be attempted, which ultimately brings us to an acceptable range. However, people fail to do this for two reasons:
  • Lack of objective
  • Lack of defining their thresholds
  • Lack of self-awareness
When you do not know what you want in life, then you will not know what do you need to achieve it. If you do not know that, you will not know which aspects of your life that you should prioritize on and what you cannot compromise on. You would know your boundaries. All this wouldn't be a problem if you are honest and sincere with yourself, having a better understanding of who you are and what you want to be.

How do you balance your life?

Be. You.
PS: Pls click the microsoft ad below, if it's still there..tq

2 comments:

  1. Thank you very much for listing my blog here!

    http://www.syahrulnizam.com
    http://teknikpowerpoint.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin