Friday, September 4, 2009

Seeds of Success: Why You Don't Know What You Want In Life

After you have the belief and the optimism thatyou can achieve success in your life you need to focus all your efforts on the things your really want to succeed in. In order to that you need to know what you really want in your life. If you don't focus, you will waste your time and effort on things that you don't really want. But before I share the method to do that, I want to discuss why is it a lot of people don't know what they want in life.


You Let Too Much External Factors Cloud Your Judgment.
When you choose your field in Uni, how was it? Did you follow your friends? You let society determine it for you. You take medicine, engineering, law because it was glamorous. That is not 'Doing the Right Thing For The Right Reasons'. You must do it because you like it, at least to a certain extent. There is nothing wrong with seeking guidance from friends and family. It's wrong when you let external motivation override what you want. But usually this happens because you trust the opinions of others more than yourself. This is because you don't understand yourself enough, you are still young and have a lot to learn about life, the world and you yourself. Which leads to my next point.


You Don't Know Yourself
How many times have you asked yourself what you want in your life, what your role in the world is? There was a time in my life where I was a complete loser and have no direction life. During this period I question my life purpose. I questioned what I really want in life. Money? Cars? Houses? I then questioned what motivates me to do things to the max. I realized there were some subjects and topics that made me significantly more passionate compared to other topics.
I then tried to construct a better understanding of my strengths and weaknesses. With all this information, I was able to confidently 100% the course that I want. Adopt the same method, try to gather as much information from your life experiences to have a better understanding of yourself. Unfortunately, not everyone have good life experiences to rely, which brings to my next point.


You Don't Want to Take New and Diverse Experiences
When you were in High School were you active in co-curricular? Were you always with only your group of friends? Did you mix around in many groups or many activities and clubs. Maybe you're also still active in societies outside of school? The important thing is to acquire more diversity in life. The more different kinds of challenges you face in life the more experience and knowledge of you have of the way you handle those challenges. With this, you would know more about yourself. Unfortunately, not everybody are willing to face challenges and take risks in life.


You're Afraid to Take Risks or Face Challenges
Now, I already explained this with some extent in the previous post titled, "Seed of Success: Knowing That You Can". Like I said in the post, "At the end of the day, these excuses you made - only you will accept it, everyone else doesn't give a sh*t". I hope you understood the post, that you need to believe in yourself first, then, you can embrace challenges. I'm not saying it will be easier that way. I am saying only good things will come from it. "What cannot kill you, makes you stronger"

"The greatest glory in living lies not in NEVER falling, but in RISING every time we fall"
- Nelson Mandela


Hopefully, now you can reflect on your past experience and properly analyze who you are as a person. But remember, you need to this honestly and sincerely with yourself. The truth hurts, and if you are not honest in doing this, there is only one person who will suffer - You.

Be.You.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin